Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Regular Exercise

adams morgan spelunking

When I was walking around DC the other day, I hopped the extremely long Adams Morgan metro escalator. This thing is a monument to modern engineering -- you can do you taxes during the ride up and use your refund to buy a newspaper at the top. The ascent is almost divine, if your idea of heaven is a Chipotle and St. Peter sleeps on a bench under a newspaper.

As I contemplated divinity on the ride, I noticed a girl brushing past me on my left side. She was wearing sweatpants and a tank top and sweating enough to glisten in the fluorescent lights of the tunnel. I was confused -- why, if she's jogging, would she head for the metro? So I watched as she reached the bottom, only to turn around, hop on the upward escalator and do lunges up the steps.

"Genius!" I thought to myself. This way, if she gets to tired to make it up the steps, no problem! Simply stop exercising and let the stairs do all the work for you. I was really impressed by this improvisational exercise technique for reasons that elude me now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jinxy said...

I hope she wasn't doing it during Rush Hour. I would have tripped her if she was.

Rosslyn's Metro stairs are Quad Killers as well.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wheaton has the longest escalator in the western hemisphere at 230 feet. Forest Glen is the deepest station in the Metro. So deep, it has no escalators. The only way to the surface is by elevator.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home