Friday, January 14, 2005

Cognitive Dissonance

I ran out this evening to pick up a copy of Half-Life 2 -- I played the demo last week and it blew my mind with the way it recreates real world physics. Anyways, when I opened up the box tonight, I was a bit dissapointed to find the game comes on 5 cds - that's more than I currently have in my car. By the time I install the thing the next game will be out (and that's saying something, this one took roughly six years according to the internets).

This whole affair got me thinking - how many purchases have I made in my lifetime that I ended up regretting? Other than college textbooks, my alarm clock and tickets to see
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, here's my top examples of buyer's remorse:

5. An American Eagle hat -- it was honest to God my first purchase after I started working for a living. Somewhere in my 16 year old mind, years of wearing nerdlinger "
No Fear" tshirts from Wal-Mart would mystically be erased by the purchase of a red hat bearing an overinflated brand name. I should have just stuck with my trusty Phillies cap - at least in that case I know I'll be dissapointed.

4. A
Virtual Boy -- ok, this one is a stretch - I didn't really buy this one. It was a shared purchase between me and my gullible little brother. 2 games and three retinal surgeries later, I decided to stick to a reality comprised of more than just the color red.

3. Anything with a
button fly -- for obvious reasons.

2. A Hootie and the Blowfish CD -- curse you Darius Rucker, you mellow-voiced bastard from the hellish depths of "lite" rock radio.

1. A gym membership - nah, I'm just kidding, this is actually going to good use as I sit on my ass and type to an audience of one. :)

As soon as my image hosting situation works out, I'll have some images posted. Until then, in the words of Ms. Heeter, go suck an elbow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually it was Kathryn Heeter who christened that phrase.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home